Anchor text means a text on which a user can click. By default, the colour of the anchor text is blue, which can be changed by the user. Anchor text acts as an indicator for search engines because search engines use anchor text to determine the relevancy of the content. For example, if a website is constantly getting quality backlinks with the anchor text "the best digital marketing company", Google understands that the website deals in digital marketing services. Hence, the anchor texts also help your website rank higher.
Anchor Text Optimization
Anchor text optimization is the practice of crafting the anchor texts in order to improve search engine rankings. The following points will guide you about anchor text best practices.
Never Use the Same Targeted Anchor Text More Than Once
Do not repeat the same anchor text in your article. You can try different combinations which cover the main anchor text. Let’s understand it with the help of an example. Consider “Digital Marketing” be your anchor text. You can use it in different ways as:
- Digital marketing meaning
- Digital marketing strategy
- Digital marketing tips
- Digital marketing training
Use Relevant Anchor Text
A few years ago, the relevance of anchor texts did not matter as much as it matters today. This is because of the improved algorithms of Google. The following points will help you improve the relevancy of your anchor texts:
- The anchor text that you are using should be relevant to the surrounding texts. Let’s understand it with the help of an example. If your blog talks about digital marketing and you are using the anchor text “make money online”, Google understands that the anchor test is irrelevant.
- To increase the relevance of anchor texts, you can use the phrases related to the main keyword. Let’s take the same example as discussed in the above point. To increase relevance, you can use keywords like “digital marketing courses”.
Avoid Linking to Spammy Sites
When you hyperlink your text to create an anchor text, you should take care of the authority of the website to which you are linking your article. If you link your article to a spammy website, Google treats your website as spam too. Hence, it won’t hesitate to penalize your website. This will decrease your site authority.
Place your Anchor Text Wisely
Most people scan your blog rather than reading it completely. Therefore, you should place your anchor texts at the place in your blog, where it is easily recognised by the people, such as paragraph breaks, headings, subheadings, images, etc. The more the visibility of anchor texts is, the more will be the clicking rate.
Hope, this blog helped you to understand the anchor text meaning and the anchor text best practices. However, if you are searching for the Best Digital Marketing Services, you can contact us, Webpulse Solution Pvt Ltd. Our digital marketing services include SEO, SMM, SEM, content writing, etc.